Saturday, June 8, 2013

1928 MULTIPLE DISK CLUTCH



1st Cover - Multi-Plate Clutch
2nd Cover - November 1928 until March 1929
3rd Cover - March 1929 to the End

Question:
I have acquired an early 1928 phaeton which I am currently restoring. Of the little material I have read, I get the feeling I shouldn't persist with the original clutch but should get a later single disc model. For the record I like the purist thinking but it is unlikely I will show the car; I would rather drive it. Your thoughts please???

Answer:
If you plan to drive your Model A I would suggest you put the later single disk clutch in. The disadvantage of the multi disk clutch is that oil from the rear main would get into the clutch assembly and mix with dust from the clutch disks and cause the disks to hang up in the flywheel. The clutch would also chatter because of problems with the disks releasing. That's why Ford changed early (about Nov 1928) to the single disk clutch. It can get rather expensive to rebuild a multi disk clutch. More than just the clutch is involved. It will also take some doing to change it out because of major differences.
To change from a multi disk clutch to a single disk clutch you must replace the flywheel, flywheel housing, pressure plate and clutch disk, and transmission. The early transmission for the multi disk clutch had a different front main driver gear and shaft and no throw out bearing. The early transmission case was not tapped for the bolts that hold the front bearing cover, which is a snout (housing) for the throw out bearing slider (hub) to ride on. If you get a later transmission, make sure it has the front retainer which is the slider snout for the throwout bearing, and the throwout bearing hub.
-- Les Andrews, Technical Director

1 comment:

  1. Where can I find a multiplate inspection cover for an early '28? The parts vendors don't seem to offer them.
    Thanks,
    Mike G.

    ReplyDelete